I know how hard it is to get young kids out of the house to go somewhere - even quick outings require you to pack enough snacks, diapers, and toys to make you think you’ll be gone for a week. And who wants to wrestle kids in and out of carseats just to find out that your destination isn’t kid-friendly? That’s why I’ve decided to visit Triangle area sites to see if they’re worth your trip. I won’t use a rating system but I’ll try to describe what you’ll see well enough for you to decide if your kids would find it interesting. I’ll also give you the heads up on bathrooms, stroller accessibility and any other SNAFUs I encounter.

1/17/2012

RightTime Kids - Raleigh



RightTime Kids, Oberlin Rd. Location Website


     I don't usually review businesses on this blog but I figured, after using a drop-in daycare establishment for the first time, I couldn't be the only parent out there that could benefit from an independent review of one of these places.

     We chose RightTime Kids because it was a national chain, it had a comprehensive website, and it was licensed. The location - Oberlin Rd. - we chose because it was close to where my wife and I wanted to spend our short respite from the kids. I can only comment on what I saw at this location at the specific time I was there. I don't intend to endorse RightTime or discredit them. I'm only providing more information for parents like myself who might be deciding where to drop off their kids.

    When we arrived, the place seemed calm and there were no signs that the kids had staged a coup and taken control of the establishment. A receptionist greeted us and directed us to a computer kiosk at the front of the lobby where we could register our kids. My wife handled the registering, so I can't comment on how easy or difficult it was.

    There was a place in the lobby for my kids to hang their coats and store their shoes - apparently the management requires kids to take their shoes off before going in the playroom. This location provides clean socks for your kids to put on if they didn't come with socks. We were told that our kids could go on in and play while we registered them. In order to enter the playroom, the receptionist had to enter a code on a numbered keypad by the door. Once inside my kids had access to a slide, an indoor play gym (kind of like what you see inside Chick-Fil-A restaurants), toys, playhouses, and dress-up clothes.

     When we were there - on a Saturday afternoon - there were 14 kids enrolled at this location, with a staff of three adults. The two staff members that I could see through the lobby windows were full-fledged adults and not teenagers (not that there's anything wrong with teenagers).

     As for safety, this location satisfied my concerns:

  • staff has passed a criminal background check
  • no adults are allowed in the playroom without the staff's authorization
  • you must show your photo ID to sign your kids out of RightTime. 
  • ill children are not permitted to stay at RightTime. 
  • the toys get cleaned every day.


   I wouldn't have left my kids there if I doubted their safety. And I would probably use RightTime again if I needed a drop-in daycare.

     The best part was that this first visit was free. New clients are given a coupon for up to four hours free on their first visit (for us it would have been 2 hours free for 2 children). And when we came to pick up our kids they didn't want to leave, which is always a good sign.






No comments:

Post a Comment