I know how hard it is to get young kids out of the house to go somewhere - even quick outings require you to pack enough snacks, diapers, and toys to make you think you’ll be gone for a week. And who wants to wrestle kids in and out of carseats just to find out that your destination isn’t kid-friendly? That’s why I’ve decided to visit Triangle area sites to see if they’re worth your trip. I won’t use a rating system but I’ll try to describe what you’ll see well enough for you to decide if your kids would find it interesting. I’ll also give you the heads up on bathrooms, stroller accessibility and any other SNAFUs I encounter.

8/12/2011

Fred G. Bond Metro Park - Cary


Town of Cary/Bond Park website


     I had heard a lot about this park so I wanted to check it out. It has a playground, picnic shelters, four baseball/softball fields, an amphitheater, and a lake with a boathouse.You can rent bikes and boats at the boathouse. From what I could see, the trails are paved, or at least stroller accessible, and meander through the surrounding forest.

     We spent most of our time at the playground, which is set back in the woods. There is plenty of signage to direct you to the playground but you can't park your car directly in front of it. Don't worry though, it's not a long walk. The playground is probably only 500 feet from the parking lot. The playground has a sandpit as well as two play structures - one for toddlers and one for school-age kids. There are two sets of swings as well, including swings for babies.

     There isn't a whole lot to distinguish this playground from any of the others I've been to, except maybe the crowd. The day we were there the weather wasn't as hot and there were a lot of kids. It looked like area summer camps and track-out programs also use the playground to let their kids run off some energy. We had to wait a long time to use the swings.

    We drove by the lake and the boathouse but we didn't get out because by that time my kids were pretty tired. The boathouse looked nice but the lake was smaller than I expected.

     Bond Park is a good place to take your kids to play if you live in the Cary/western Raleigh area, but if you're coming from points east the thirty minute drive isn't really worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment